“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” - Isaiah 41:10 (NIV)
My name is Vanessa Lerma, I’m a River Ministry Missionary in the Rio Grande Valley and our mission is to share His love.
Since the pandemic started, ministry work has changed for us. One of the hardest things was to stay still especially at first as we didn’t know what to expect. But we continue to share His love, as state, national and international instructions change.
As the number of positive cases increases exponentially, families are struggling financially because of lack of work, kids are at home, border crossing regulations changing, and immigrant family’s court dates keep getting pushed back. Families are scared and restless. Isaiah 41:10 reminds me that He is with us, He is our God, He will strengthen us, help us, and we are in His hand. They need to hear the good news, they need Him, they need His love and the hope and peace that only He can give us.
If your missions-discipleship group is interested in partnering with Texas Baptists River Ministry, here are three ways you can join us in the Kingdom work along the border:
Join me every Monday at 10 am and 10 pm in prayer. Send an email to rgv.riverministry[at]gmail.com to receive updates.
- Pray that in the midst of this we can share God’s hope and love.
- Pray for the body of Christ so we can boldly and efficiently share the hope of Christ. That we may minister and build relationships with the families.
- Pray for the families so their needs may be met. Many are unemployed, barely getting back to work but continue to struggle financially.
- Pray for children’s safety at home.
- Pray for the immigrant families waiting on their court dates and that their needs be met.
- Pray for the government officials and frontlines for strength and wisdom.
- Pray for the sick. Pray for my family as we continue to minister to others.
Email rgv.riverministry[at]gmail.com to learn more or give online to the Mary Hill Davis Offering to support missions work along the border and beyond.
- Give financial assistance for pastoral families. Some of our pastors are only receiving a fraction of their salary or nothing at this time. Helping vulnerable families and single moms that are having a difficult time paying for essential things. A gift card or love offering can go a long way.
- Give a donation for an immigrant family to meet their immediate needs.
Email rgv.riverministry[at]gmail.com for a list of needed supplies.
- We are gearing up for homeschooling/back to school and our goal is to give 1,000 backpacks with school supplies.
- We want to continue giving care packages per family which include family devotionals, Kids Bible stories, and New Testaments. View list of partner projects.
- Several pastors are struggling with their internet transmission because of lack of adequate equipment to be able to share the Gospel.
Thank you for your prayers and we're continually praying for you and your loved ones as well. Be blessed to bless others.
This article was originally featured in the 2020 fall/winter edition of The Bridge magazine - a publication designed to keep you connected to WMU of Texas. Subscribe to receive a free copy by mail.