Article from the 2020-2021 National WMU Missions Plan Book. Available for purchase here.
Do you already have WMU, Adults on Mission, or another WMU missions group in your church? If so, do you know of a church who doesn’t? Share this article with that church to help its members take part in missions more, too!
1. Pray for God’s direction. Ask Him to help you understand what He wants for your church.
2. Work together. Talk with the pastor. Ask for his support to begin WMU, Adults on Missions, or another WMU group as a way to help church members learn about missions and take part in missions.
3. Plan a short meeting to talk about what WMU or Adults on Mission (or another WMU group) can be in your church. Invite the pastor, other ministers, and anyone who is interested in missions.
Before the meeting, give everyone a copy of questions like these:
Ask everyone to write answers to these questions and bring them to the meeting. (Or ask them to give you the answers before the meeting.)
At the meeting, respect everyone’s time by starting and ending on time. Pray and talk together about what the church needs to do so that more people will take part in missions.
4. Have a second meeting soon to make a plan for action. Will you begin with events for the entire church or with Adults on Mission or with another age-level group? Decide together exactly what you want to do and by when. Make a list of when to do each thing, and decide who will carry out each step of the action plan.
5. Order resources. If you start with Adults on Mission, order Missions Plan Book 2020–21for members and leaders. If you start with another age-level group, order the magazines, kits, or other resources you need. Visit wmu.com/missions-discipleship/getstarted/ for more information. Also shop for supplies° such as paper, pens, and maps.
6. You will need leaders. Pray for, look for, encourage, and train leaders! (Learn more on pp. 10, 13–18 of the Missions Plan Book 2020-21)
7. Encourage and pray for each other. Tell WMU of Texas (email@example.com) that you have started, so the WMU of Texas leaders can provide more support and training. (See directory, pp. 124–125 of the Missions Plan Book 2020-21)
8. Evaluate. (See p. 18 of the Missions Plan Book 2020-21) Keep looking at how your group is working. What needs to change? Keep finding ways for members to do more in missions. And keep learning how more people can take part!
Are you ready to start a WMU group at your church or in your community? Start with this free starter pack, and feel free to reach out to WMU of Texas at (214) 828-5150 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
©2022 WMU of Texas. All rights reserved.
Made possible by gifts to the Mary Hill Davis Offering.
10325 Brockwood Rd.
Dallas, Texas 75238
We are no longer supporting Internet Explorer. You may proceed, but the page layout and functionality will not work as intended. Please use a browser currently maintained by it’s developer. Some popular choices are: Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Mozilla Firefox.